Griffith Family Foundation & Sideline Cancer Highlights
A few of the big events that happened throughout 2017
Griff’s 8th Annual Sideline PC Dinner
- At our 8th Annual Sideline PC Dinner, we raised a net profit of $32,776.74!
- Several familiar faces, including Dr. Moser and Erin Willett, returned to make this year one of the most memorable dinners yet!
- A special “Thank you!” to our signature sponsor The Patt Family, and to everyone who has generously supported our cause.
- Congrats to this year’s award winners: John Hatch, Caitlyn Edgell, and Natalie Khoury!
- From 2010 to 2017, The Griffith Family Foundation/Sideline Cancer has donated $260,000 to the research efforts of Dr. A. James Moser.
- 2018’s dinner is scheduled for Friday, August 17th. Mark your calendars!
Tee Off For A Cure to Sideline Pancreatic Cancer
- At the 2017 Tee Off For A Cure Golf Tournament, we raised a net profit of $26,061.19!
- Thanks again to Scotch Valley for the amazing experience.
- A special “Thank You” to Shawn and Kim McCarl, and the employees of S.P. McCarl and Company, Inc., and McCarl’s Preferred Services.
Fund a Cure to Sideline Pancreatic Cancer Night at The Altoona Curve Stadium
- This year, we raised a net profit of $3200!
- Thanks again to The Good Funeral Home, Alto-Reste Park, and the Altoona Curve for their continued support.
Thank You, TBT Sideline Cancer Fans!
- For the 4th consecutive year, Sideline Cancer participated in The Basketball Tournament (TBT), which aired on ESPN!
- Sideline Cancer TBT Basketball Team won 100-87 in the first round against the 5th seed Pitt’s Zoo Crew led by Lavance Fields.
- In the second round, Sideline Cancer fell 82-75 to the 4th seed Team FOE, coached by the NBA’s Morris Brothers.
- We also took part in an inaugural fundraising event – the Dubois Dream 2 Sideline Cancer Tournament.
- Sideline Cancer General Manager Billy Clapper looks forward to our team playing in the TBT again this summer!
Pancreatic Cancer Awareness!
- Our Sideline Pancreatic Cancer Youth Initiative was trademarked in 2013 and is the only student-led campaign in the world that engages students to use their entrepreneurial and philanthropic ideas to change the outcome of Pancreatic Cancer!
- We had the great opportunity to meet with Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto on World Pancreatic Cancer Day this year.
- Several Sideline Cancer interns and volunteers headed to DC for the Digestive Disease National Coalition (DDNC) event.
Sideline Cancer School Spirit!
- A special thank you to Chrissey Wagner, owner of JEMS Funky Consignments, for allowing us to sell our Sideline Cancer T-Shirts in her store year round!
Fly High Kiera Chirdon in God’s Everlasting Light and Love!
- At this year’s Sideline PC Dinner, we presented our first annual “Kiera Courage Award.” Kiera’s courage and Jack Andraka’s ingenuity were the inspiration behind the creation of our Sideline Cancer Campaign!
- Although we mourn Kiera’s recent passing, her legacy of love lives on through our Sideline Cancer Campaign!
Going in 2018…
- Stay tuned for our upcoming yearly events.
- Look for more news on our process of creating a Sideline Cancer Chapter at Penn State.
- If you can’t make it to any of our upcoming events, you can still support the efforts of the Griffith Family Foundation and Sideline Cancer by purchasing a T-shirt or making a donation online.
To the people working hard behind the scenes…
- Many thanks to all the members of our board:
- Catherine R. Griffith, President
- John L. McIntyre, Vice President
- Cindy Kanski, Board Secretary
- Bruce Erb, Board Treasurer
- Dr. Lance DeFrancisco
- Stephen C. Gildea
- JT Tidd
- Jordan Griffith
- Jack E. Collins
- Dr. Kevin Yeskey
- Nancy Fulchiero
- A special thank you to our GFF Office Administrator, Tammie Fleck, and our Sideline Cancer Interns: Caitlyn Edgell, Sierra Cobler, Marissa Lombardi, and Morgan Jennings.